Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sanitary Sewer Overflows

I spent my morning calling the Senators on the committe this SB513 is in.  Senator Joan Carter-Conway was nice enough to return my call.  But she was rather scary when I told her that the only item in question with Type I and Type II MSDs is nutrient output.  She said "every little bit helps".  I responed that we're talking three thousands of 1 percent of the bay's annual nutrient load.  Hundreds of thousands of gallons of raw sewage are dumped into Maryland waters every year by municipalities, and she wants to go after three thousands of 1 percent of the nutrient load.  SCARY!

Here's a fun little link. Take a look at all the RAW sewage that municipal waste treatment plants dump into Maryland waters:

http://www.mde.state.md.us/Programs/WaterPrograms/overflow/index.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment